A drawing that should help to explain how DLC is connected to the SAN.
DLC uses Ethernet to move data instead of Fibre Channel.
- DLC license costs less.
- Ethernet components costs less.
- Ethernet data rate is slower (assume using GigE) vs 8GB of FC.
- Requires another separate Ethernet network to support DLC (a separate switch or VLAN), cable run to support this DLC network to each station, additional NIC connect on each station.
- Require FC client to server as the DLC server.
- The top part is a traditional SAN using FC connections, no DLC.
- The bottom shows the traditional SAN plus DLC added (in green). One of the Fiber Client is designated as a DLC Server, it servers data to the DLCs with its FC connection to the SAN, it is like a gateway between FC and DLC (Ethernet).